HDR mode not working 1.12.1

vamp

Hello there,

On Android, if i connect to my PC from android phone and HDR mode are enabled (my monitor and video card HDR capable) the picture are freeze or full green.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi vamp,

Does your Android phone have an HDR display? Does it work when connecting to 1.11.4 server version? Can you also let us know what Remotly Plan do you see in the "My Account" window.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I have just connected from my Sony Xperia 1 III phone to my HDR enabled PC and it seems to work. I have made a local recording during the connection and the video in the recording is HEVC 10bit BT.2020.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
You should see the option to allow HDR streaming in general settings of the android app. If it is grayed out then it means the display is not HDR capable and the PC running in HDR will tone map the video to SDR format and stream it in HEVC 8bit.

vamp

"Does your Android phone have an HDR display?"

Yes. Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G NE

"Does it work when connecting to 1.11.4 server version?"

Yes, it working.

"Can you also let us know what Remotly Plan do you see in the "My Account" window."

1695333048118.png

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so it will still work for Android but from PC it will not work anymore as it is now available only for Home use. But I think we will bring it back tomorrow for Commercial as well. This was a stupid idea to disable HDR for commercial plans.

What is a bad news it that it worked in 1.11.4 and now it's not working. On my side I don't see any difference (HDR from PC to Android works OK in 1.11.4 and 1.12.1)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
To make sure it worked in 1.11.4 it would be best to connect and record the video on the server and then check the MP4 if the video is in fact 10bit HEVC BT.2020.

vamp

i would like to test again, because not remember, that HDR mode are enabled on 1.11.4. Please send me a download link to 1.11.4.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
We have not changed the HDR part in the server since 1.11.4. I don't understand what could have happened. And as I wrote previously I have checked it on the Sony device and connected to 1.12.1 as we speak.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Ok I found a bug already. When no HEVC is selected on the server and I enable HDR streaming to the phone I get black screen on the phone.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I forgot to mention... Because you have a commercial plan the encoder was automatically switched to AVC in 1.12.1. We had to do it because companies that are testing Remotly demanded this change as HEVC was not working 100% OK in all cases (some PCs had old drivers etc.).

So please change it back to HEVC!

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
So I think we have the same problem. Trying to connect to a non-HEVC server with HDR enabled on the Android device fails with black/green screen. Just please let me know if you see a change after switching back to HEVC (on the PC server in Settings->Video)