Remotly supports Linux?

hasanmerkit

Remotly is planning support Linux Desktop distros like Teamviewer and Anydesk?
We need good a remote access application for Ubuntu.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi hasanmerkit!

Thank you for asking.

Yes, please find the development roadmap below:
1. PC and Android version finish Beta stage (end of November 2022)
2. RemotlyQS (QuickSupport) tool for Windows ready (end of November 2022)
3. Web browser client allowing Linux/macOS connection to Windows PCs (end of 2022, Q1 2023)
4. Android app port to iOS (Q1 2023)
5. Servers for Linux and macOS (Q1/Q2 2023)
6. Servers for Android and iOS (Q3 2023)

Now when we have finally moved to front-end implementation in CEF we can work faster :) Porting server UI to Linux/macOS will take 1 week.
But much more work is needed to port Windows Server Core to Linux/macOS/Android/iOS

But the goal is to support any platform as server and client in 2023 (with much better quality and experience than our German competitors...)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to mention that for Linux we are going to provide the possibility to setup users own relay transmission server (Connect Anywhere) on Linux. Using a small Raspberry Pi like device users will be able to run our Cloud instance deployment code to minimize their lag to minimum. This will work even for non-static IPs.

We will provide more details soon when it is ready for testing (Linux image download for SD card and setup instruction).

vamp

Hello there, any plan to release a web browser client or native Linux client in the near Future?

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi vamp,

WebRTC client is already in the works (connection will be established using the web admin panel). This will be a temporary workaround for macOS/Linux until we make native clients for these systems.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
No, the WebRTC client will be included also in the Free account panel :) So as soon as it is ready it will just appear somewhere around there.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
You will not see the "LICENSE MANAGER, ADMIN MODE, GROUP DEVICES and BRANDING" in the Free plan. They are for larger groups/teams/companies.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
The team is already working hard on it. We hope it will "appear" on the menu by the end of next month. I'm not sure if it will be as super efficient as native clients but is should work quite well.

vamp

Hi vamp,

WebRTC client is already in the works (connection will be established using the web admin panel). This will be a temporary workaround for macOS/Linux until we make native clients for these systems.

i suggest this repository! it originally make it with sec. cameras, but handle other video streams:

I use it with my home automation system and work really good (provide almost real time video forwarding)

It possible to useful to your dev team.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you vamp! We will check it out. But it will be much more difficult on our side as we do not use WebRTC on the Remotly server. We need to implement a wrapper (it will work in parallel with our own protocol whenever someone is connecting from the web browser).

So for native clients like PC, Android and iOS we will use our own protocol and when we detect an web browser based connection the client on the browser will use WebRTC and the server will translate our protocol to WebRTC to make it all work.

vamp

Thank you vamp! We will check it out. But it will be much more difficult on our side as we do not use WebRTC on the Remotly server. We need to implement a wrapper (it will work in parallel with our own protocol whenever someone is connecting from the web browser).

So for native clients like PC, Android and iOS we will use our own protocol and when we detect an web browser based connection the client on the browser will use WebRTC and the server will translate our protocol to WebRTC to make it all work.
i see.

go2rtc provide some pre-definied modules. Of course your one are not contain it, but it possible that is add your team some inspiritation!

vamp

@mirillis

Any ETA to Linux/WebRTC support?

This app is better and better (Congratulations!) but unfortunately i can not use it "regular daily use" because my goal to access my Windows PC from my Linux notebook.