Windows title region freezes from time to time

hhspiny

does not happen often but definitely does. the title region of remotely GUI freezes and does not react to mouse. rest is fine, can move the window. just the miminize/maximize/close buttons do not respond to mouse anymore.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
This is not a connection using connection ID or invitation? When the connection is done using invitation/connection ID it is not possible to use the GUI except for moving the window. Maybe this is the case. But you should see a notification after clicking the blocked area "for security reasons controlling Remotly is blocked when connecting using Connection ID or via invitation".

This notification might not be visible when system notifications are in "do not disturb" mode.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
If this this happening without connection then this is a bug for sure.

Are you only able to move the window and everything else is blocked? Or just the minimize/maximize/close are blocked and you can click other controls?

hhspiny

everything else works, except for the minimize/maximize/close. if close remotly from notification icon and re-start, works fine afterwards.

also had an event earlier when the entire GUI area was white. had to close the GUI and restart.

will post if I enter more such event.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
"everything else works, except for the minimize/maximize/close. if close remotly from notification icon and re-start, works fine afterwards."
We will double check when these controls are blocked and why this happens when it shouldn't.

"also had an event earlier when the entire GUI area was white. had to close the GUI and restart."
That's bad news. There was a problem like this a long time ago but it should have been fixed by now :(

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
BTW. We will upload a new Android app update v1.33 tomorrow for testing (signed APK before uploading to Google Play). This version levels the RSA and AES modes for PC and Android (and will also be the base for iOS/Mac and Linux versions). Currently the mobile app uses RSA2048 and AES128. From version 1.33 it will be RSA4096 and AES256.

hhspiny

had white windows problem in 1.15.1, upgrade to 1.15.2, it becomes persistent. even killing remotly.exe with task manager does not solve. once remotly.exe launches it either becomes white window or the window freezes, it happens either right away or after a few seconds.

the solution is to kill not only remotly.exe but also remotlyLauncher.exe and remotly_launcher_x64.exe. then start remotly.exe manually. becomes usable again.

Last edited:

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
No changes where made in this area between 1.15.1 and 1.15.2.

"the solution is to kill not only remotly.exe but also remotlyLauncher.exe and remotly_launcher_x64.exe. then start remotly.exe manually. becomes usable again."

This is very useful information!

Can you please make such test:
- install normally
- run Remotly.exe from the installation folder (bypass RemotlyLauncher.exe - this process is only used to bypass UAC popup each time Remotly starts from desktop shortcut).

Does this solve the white UI problem each time Remotly starts?

hhspiny

yes. that is what I had to do. kill all remotly.exe and launcher (incl. launcher_x64). then run remotly.exe manually. that is the only way to get it to work without either white window or GUI freezing.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Please note that remotly_launcher_x64.exe is a watchdog for Remotly.exe process. If you delete it from the installation folder Remotly.exe will not start this watchdog process at startup and if Remotly.exe crashes during execution it will not restart automatically. This can be a serious problem when there is no physicall access to the remote machine.

We will investigate why is RemotlyLauncher.exe causing such serious problems.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
One more question. Are you sure remotly_launcher_x64.exe has to be removed/disabled? This process has no impact on Remotly.exe at startup.

Since RemotlyLauncher.exe starts/creates Remotly.exe process it might have an impact on it. But the watchdog launcher_x64 process is started by Remotly.exe and not RemotlyLauncher.exe.

hhspiny

not deleting the file. just kill the process from task manager. I have only tested on one computer so far, so there might be particular conflict with other software though as there is a ASUS virtual keyboard software and windows manager software. keep that in mind. but this is the same client computer that I have been testing remotly. I will test on server machine too tonight to see if this is also the case.

hhspiny

yes. I have done quite a number of times. have to kill both launchers for manually started remotly.exe to work. if only _64 is left (and remotly.exe dos not auto-start), same white/freeze.

hhspiny

one possibility is that once remotly.exe gets killed, the watchdog process launches another one right away, which gives white screen. without watchdog, the remotly.exe is indeed manually launched, and without problem.

this is behavior is highly repeatable on the computer. I have tried 10+ times last a couple of days. (but never occurred to me to try on a difference computer yet)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
not deleting the file. just kill the process from task manager. I have only tested on one computer so far, so there might be particular conflict with other software though as there is a ASUS virtual keyboard software and windows manager software. keep that in mind. but this is the same client computer that I have been testing remotly. I will test on server machine too tonight to see if this is also the case.
Can you create an exclude.txt file in Remotly installation folder and after checking ASUS software executable names(s) add them to this file (each line of this text file should include one exe name just like they appear in task manager).

hhspiny

tried that. did not work. did uninstall - reboot - reinstall. now killing launcher.exe did not work anymore. found out that if moving the window to other screen, the GUI crashes -- remotly.exe is gone. now this is completely unusable in my client computer.

installed on server, does not have problem. strange

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
"found out that if moving the window to other screen, the GUI crashes -- remotly.exe is gone"

Do these screens have same DPI?
Can you also check if this happens when only one screen is available/connected? There must be a specific thing that is causing these problems.

Another user reported a similar problem. This only happens only on one of his computers.