Windows title region freezes from time to time

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot about one thing that might help us. Please create a crashlog.txt file (empty file but with this name). This will enable crash report generation. After the crash please check the "crash" folder (it will be located in the folder where Remotly.exe is) and let me know if you see 3 files with a recent date there.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Please let me know if the crash is captured in the crash folder when crashlog.txt is present. Thanks!

hhspiny

there is no crashlog.txt under C:\Program Files (x86)\Mirillis\Remotly
it does not show white screen anymore, just GUI freezing.

can only interact only once with any GUI element (including mouse over if that has effect on GUI). second time interacting with any GUI element, it freezes. does not seem to matter which GUI element.

and if crash it enough times, maybe 5-6 times, sometimes it runs normal. exist and restart, back to freezing.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Do you still have one of the older installers? Can you please check if this happens with v1.14.x? Thank you.

hhspiny

tested with 1.13 and 1.14. same thing.
Definitely affected by DPI setting ("screen scale"). the freezing does not happen at 100%. and consistently happens at 200% and 225% which is what I use with 4K display.
killing and restating remotly.exe enoug times, it eventually works. that is how I am using it right now.
when it is in freezing, moving to another screen always kills it.
when it is NOT freezing, can't move to another screen, always comes back to original screen after mouse release.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for letting us know. We are preparing 1.16.0 and will upload it soon. I will let you know.

"when it is NOT freezing, can't move to another screen, always comes back to original screen after mouse release."
This is a bug (regress since it was working in the past :/ ). We have also noticed it after deeper tests with dynamic DPI between monitors.
Fixed in 1.16.0.

hhspiny

No freezing scaling at 175% or below, can move GUI to different screen. freezing at 200% or above, crash when moving GUI to different screen. happens both with external monitor and laptop screen only, both start freezing at 200%. This is with ASUS Zenbook Duo with Core Ultra 9 iGPU and 3k screen, it has two screens but with one screen active.

When tested 1.14 and initially 1.15, used another Zenbook Due with 1080p screen, max scaling allowed 175%, explains why no freezing then.

Tried on another laptop (1.15.1) with 4K screen, a thinkpad with RTX 1650 card, no freezing at all at any scaling....

only have two laptops with 4k screen, can't set >175% unless >3k screen.

hhspiny

per suggested by Mirillis, the following seems to have fixed the freezing problem.
task manager -> remotly.exe -> right click -> properties -> compatibility -> change high DPI settings -> high DPI scaling override -> check override high DPI scaling behavior -> "System".

note that the same setting that can be set in the remotly shortcut that is on desktop does not work. have to use task manager to set on the process itself.

other choices in the same DPI properties do not work. "system enhanced" solves the problem of crashing when moving GUI to other screen, but in 4K screen with 200% scaling, only 1/4 of GUI window is show (and works), rest 3/4 white.

this appears to be specific to my laptop with Core Ultra 9 iGPU as another laptop with RTX 1650 does not have freezing problem regardless of screen scaling.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
OK we have something:

1. Please open Local Group Policy editor. To do this please Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box. Type Control Panel in the text box and press Enter. Type edit group policy in the search box in the top-right corner of the Control Panel window. Under Windows Tools, click Edit group policy to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Please check the following settings for "Computer Configuration"

1712659191065.png

3. Please check the same setting but now for "User Configuration"

1712659226526.png

Please let us know what settings do you see on your side.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
In version 1.16.0 we are going to force "~ HIGHDPIAWARE" for Remotly.exe, RemotlyLauncher.exe, remotly_launcher_x64.exe and (not public yet) Quick Support (RemotlyQS.exe) and Quick Support with branding (RemotlyQS_<company_code>.exe)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member

hhspiny

OK we have something:

1. Please open Local Group Policy editor. To do this please Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box. Type Control Panel in the text box and press Enter. Type edit group policy in the search box in the top-right corner of the Control Panel window. Under Windows Tools, click Edit group policy to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Please check the following settings for "Computer Configuration"

View attachment 156

3. Please check the same setting but now for "User Configuration"

View attachment 157

Please let us know what settings do you see on your side.
Mine is the same as yours

hhspiny

Got another laptop with Intel Arc 370 video card (which should be similar to what is in Core Ultra 9 CPU) and 3k screen. works fine. something unique about the ASUS laptop I have that caused the freezing

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I hope we can fix this with the extended debug installer version that will be ready soon.