Launching Remotly in Hyper-V VM cause the ENTIRE PC to crash

ClémentRED

Title, tested with multiple version of remotly including the latest one, as well as with completely different PCs and components. The ENTIRE PC is crashing and rebooting not just the concerned VM !

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Clement,

Thank you for letting us know. Please read below what tests have been done on Hyper-V.

We have tested Remotly on Hyper-V VM on Microsoft Azure. Can you let us know how is your system started? If the ENTIRE PC running the VM is crashing then... you have found a gigantic security hole! This should never happen!

Can you run Remotly WITHOUT admin rights on the VM? (we have tried it on MS Azure but without success, it always starts with admin rights).

We will first try to reproduce what you have found but need info from you about the setup (so we can have the same in our labs).

Please also let us know if this problem occurs after connecting to the VM or just after Remotly starts.

UPDATE: Tested VMs include: VMware, MS Azure and VirtualBox.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm installing Hyper-V VM with Win11 and check if I can reproduce the problem ASAP (before 1.11.2 update)

ClémentRED

Thanks for answering so quickly ! So I tried with and without admin right : same problem, the problems occurs when Remotly is loading. I'm on Win11 Pro with a Hyper-V VM created with the "Easy-GPU-PV" script, so the VM has GPU acceleration. The pc I have now which do the same bug is an Ryzen 4100 and GTX 1080 Ti with 32 Gb RAM. The other one was a DELL R720 with dual Xeon E5 2680 V2 and a tesla P40.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Clement,

I have just started a simple VM with MS Hyper-V Manager. It uses Microsoft Hyper-V Video as a display adapter... It seems to work without problems but only without admin rights. When Remotly is installed and run with admin rights I see the login/lock screen, but on my local display I see the desktop. Very strange. When installed and run without admin rights everything works OK.

"I'm on Win11 Pro with a Hyper-V VM created with the "Easy-GPU-PV" script, so the VM has GPU acceleration". I think the problem is related to the GPU acceleration. It is strange that the problem happens without admin rights as in this mode no low-level GPU "magic" is done to improve performance and decrease lag.

Is there an option to temporarily disable the GPU acceleration in "Easy-GPU-PV"? Just to check if the problem does not occur in this mode.

Looking forward to hearing from you! In the meantime we need to fix the "admin" problem in MS Hyper-V Manager.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Desktop 5-5-2023 9-36-01 PM-664.png

OK. I have managed to start the VM with Easy-GPU-PV. I have this crappy UHD 630 mounted in this PC. As soon as I start Remotly (even without admin rights) I get a BSOD ;/ But the BSOD crash is only in the VM. The physical PC is working OK.

ClémentRED

I tried deactivating my GTX in device manager of the VM and the bug is gone, but now I can't use GPU encoding so it's useless x) reactivating it "reactivate" the bug

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm removing parts of the DXGI/D3D/Encoder code step by step until the crash is gone. This way we will find what causes the crash. There are some old D3D9 related parts of the code that might be problematic (Intel developers are no longer testing D3D9 in their driver releases ;/ )
I hope that there is some non-crucial part of the code that can be skipped and the problem will be gone. But if the problem is somewhere in the GPU encoding part then this will be a much bigger problem.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
First bug fixed. Remotly will now work (from v1.11.2) properly in Hyper-V non-GPU accelerated mode both with and without admin rights.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea why but it works! Now I can use HEVC low power GPU encoder on the Intel UHD 630 in the Hyper-V VM with GPU acceleration. But now I do not see the "Microsoft Remote Display Adapter" in the Device Manager under "Display Adapters". Can you let me know which devices do you see in the "Display Adapters" section?

1683330866918.png

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Funny thing... It only works properly when running Remotly with admin rights :)
BTW do you have the "Enhanced session" enabled? Remotly works ok in current 1.11.1 version but only when "Enhanced session" is disabled. In the new 1.11.2 version it works with and without "Enhanced session".

ClémentRED

In device manager I don't have the "Microsoft Remote Display Adapter" either, I only have my GTX, the "Microsoft Hyper-V Video" and the "parsec virtual display adapter" which is installed by default with the Easy-GPU-PV script. Let me try without the parsec thing, I'll come back after the possible crash x)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use 2 Easy-GPU-PV scripts? One was for installing drivers and the other one for GPU memory? I will send how I used the scripts soon. I'm setting up Hyper-V on Nvidia and AMD now.

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
Did you disable "parsec virtual display driver" or uninstall it completly? (Is it still on the list)

mirillis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering why does parsec need this virtual driver installed on a VM... These drivers have poor performance. They must use it for setting up virtual displays I guess.

I'm sure we will fix these problems soon Clement. Thanks again for your cooperation regarding this!

I will later write a complete tutorial here on how to start Remotly server on Hyper-V with GPU acceleration from scratch, to make it easier for other users. But first I must make sure it works on AMD and Nvidia.

ClémentRED

I used the "CopyFilesToVM". I don't think there is one for GPU drivers and another for GPU memory ? Or maybe it's done in an automatic way but I just modified the "CopyFilesToVM" to my liking, like the number of cores, location of the ISO and so on and then ran it. I disabled the parsec driver within the device manager, not uninstalled completely, give me 2 minutes and I will try. And just saying but maybe I can help you because I also have a RX 5600 XT, maybe I can test it ?

EDIT : Uninstalling the Parsec driver didn't help, same bug